Embrace Nature and Togetherness
As a sustainable company, Diamond Brand Gear is passionate about promoting eco-friendly camping experiences that allow families to connect with nature and each other — including a Thanksgiving camping trip! This Thanksgiving, why not break away from the traditional celebrations around a table and embark on an unforgettable family camping trip? Gather around the campfire instead! Infuse the spirit of Thanksgiving into your outdoor adventure this year with the perfect setting, the right gear and a whole lot of fun to boot.
Camping Essentials To Make Your Trip Memorable
Before we dive into the details of planning a memorable Thanksgiving family camping trip, make sure you have the following sustainable essentials ready to go.
- Sustainable Tents: Ensure you’re equipped with eco-friendly and durable tents that minimize their environmental impact. Opt for tents made from recycled materials or those designed for long-term use.
- Campfire Cooking Gear: Invest in eco-conscious cookware, like stainless steel pots and pans, which can be used repeatedly instead of disposable options. Cast iron is also a good choice for cooking over the campfire.
- Renewable Energy Sources: Consider using solar-powered lanterns and chargers to reduce your reliance on non-renewable energy sources.
Setting Up Your Campsite for Thanksgiving Festivities
For your Thanksgiving outing, select a campground or glamping area that can accommodate multiple families. Ensure there are nearby facilities such as restrooms and water sources for convenience. Many campgrounds offer group campsites, which can be ideal for large gatherings. Book one well in advance to secure your spot. Look for other amenities like picnic tables for your feast, and access to actiivites like hiking, bicycling, or even horseback riding for after you eat.
Set up a designated campfire area where your extended family can all gather around for warmth and cooking. Assign different Thanksgiving dishes for the big meal to different family members so that your Thanksgiving meal can come together more easily with everyone’s help. Choose recipes that are easy to cook outdoors and be sure to do as much food prep as you can at home. Embrace the Thanksgiving spirit by decorating your campsite and picnic table with fall leaves, pinecones, and other natural found objects.
Thanksgiving-Themed Food Ideas for Your Camping Trip
- Campfire Turkey: Yes, you can roast a turkey over an open flame! Marinate the turkey with your favorite herbs and spices, wrap it in foil, and cook it on a grill or campfire.
- Foil Packet Sides: Prepare individual foil packets filled with vegetables, seasonings, and even sauce. Cook them over the campfire for a delicious, easy-to-clean side dish for your turkey.
- Thanksgiving Staples: Cook sweet potatoes, corn on the cob, and other standard Thanksgiving sides over the campfire using foil or skewers. Get the kids in on the food-on-a-stick fun.
- S’mores with a Twist: Make Thanksgiving-themed s’mores by using pumpkin-flavored marshmallows (yes, they really exist) and dark chocolate.
After Dinner Activities to Bond with Nature
- Family Scavenger Hunt: Create a list of items for a nature scavenger hunt, encouraging everyone to explore and connect with the environment. Find new leaves, bugs, rocks and more!
- Hiking Adventures: Plan a family hike and enjoy the beautiful fall foliage. Bring a field guide for identifying local flora and fauna, binoculars and a camera.
- Campfire Stories: Gather around the campfire and share stories, perhaps even tales of Thanksgivings past.
- Stargazing: Take advantage of the crisp autumn nights for some stargazing. Bring along a telescope or binoculars to enhance the experience.
Thanksgiving Decorations and Traditions Make Your Camping Trip Special
Before your Thanksgiving meal, gather everyone for a gratitude circle, where each family expresses what they are thankful for. And after dinner, bring supplies for crafting, such as making handprint turkeys, leaf rubbings, or painting fall scenes on rocks. A Thanksgiving family camping trip offers a unique opportunity to celebrate this holiday in a sustainable, nature-focused way. You can create lasting memories with your loved ones on a Thanksgiving camping trip. We hope these ideas inspire you to connect with nature and each other during this special time of year. Happy Thanksgiving, and happy camping!