platforms for optimal experience
You will achieve the best canvas wall tent experience by building a wooden or concrete platform to serve as a foundation. In this post, we’ll be using a 12′ x 16′ platform as an example, but you can adapt the measurements to fit your own wall tent size or find designs for our common sizes below.
Watch our short video for an overview of the platform building process.
What you’ll need
Prepare the following parts that can be easily found at your local hardware store before beginning construction.
- (1) Post top connector (Yardistry YP21012)
- (18) Joist hanger for single 2″ x 6″
- (1-2 boxes) Exterior wood screws or nails
- Flat surface
- (9) 4″ x 4″ posts, cut to length
- (1 bag) Gravel fill
- (1-2 bags) Concrete, for more permanent foundation
- (9) Concrete deck blocks (for sloped surface only)
Beam & Joist
- (2) 2″ x 6″ 16′ beams
- (3) 2″ x 6″ 12′ beams
- (18) 2″ x 6″ 8′ joists
- (36) Floor boards – 5/4” x 6” x 12’ (deck or composite)
Setting the posts
- Locate flat surface and mark 12’ x 16’ area for platform.
- Posts need to be set 1 1/2” from outside corners to accommodate beams.
- Locate Middle Posts per dimension shown below.
- Center Post should be 5 1/2” shorter than rest of the columns to accommodate center beam which will sit on the post top connector.
- Once placement for posts are located, dig a hole at least 6” deep.
- Place the post and fill with gravel for better drainage.
Attaching the perimeter
- Cut (2) shorter beams to 11’-9”
- Cut (2) longer beams to 16’
- Cut (1) short center beam to 11’-2”
- Screw exterior beams directly into the post using galvanized wood screws.
- Make sure they are level.
- Place (2) joist hangers inside of center columns for a short beam.
- Place 4” x 4” Post Top Connector on the center column.
- Install a short beam on the center column between the two middle columns
Adding the joists
- Locate the joist spacing by finding the center of short center beam.
- Once center is located, place a mark at 16” on center for rest of joists.
- Place joist hanger on both sides of short center beam where joists will be hung.
- Place joists in joist hanger and fasten with wood screws.
- Screw directly from the beam to the joists on exterior side.
Placing the floor boards
- Pressure treated wood deck board or composite deck board can be used.
- Cut deck boards to 12’.
- Lay the boards out to ensure all boards fit without having to rip the board – If all boards are uniform 5 1/2” in width, all boards should fit on 12’ x 16’ platform without gaps between the boards.
- Using screws, fasten the floor boards to the joists
adding an Outrigger
Once your platform is complete, you can add an outrigger to further enhance your canvas wall tent experience.
Still looking for the perfect wall tent?
Browse our most popular canvas wall tent styles to get started. After all, adventure is waiting.
Hestia Stratum Accessory Package$2,699.00 – $3,649.00
Atlas Stratum Accessory Package$2,199.00 – $3,749.00
Warhorse Stratum Accessory Package$2,599.00 – $3,399.00