We are dedicated to one thing at Diamond Brand: practicing, preserving, and elevating the art of tent making. Since relocating to Asheville in 1942, we’ve been manufacturing and hiring locally, because we believe in reviving the craft of sewing. When Diamond Brand first came to the heart of these mountains, the art of sewing permeated the area. We got our start in Asheville, North Carolina in a small, defunct hosiery mill that quickly turned into a thriving factory. Fifty years later, the textile industry began to offshore their facilities, resulting in the loss of 750,000 jobs from 1990-2011. This is why we’ve made it our mission to revive the art of sewing, with the hopes of making our home in the heart of the mountains a place where this craft lives and breathes.
At Diamond Brand, we are committed to the preservation of craftmanship, formation of a greener economy, and creation of durable goods that enhance the experience of all adventurers. Since 1881, we’ve made it our vision to be a force for good in the lives of our customers, team members, for the community, and for the Earth.
We are fabric craftspeople
We have the experience and resourcefulness to solve problems and create customized products for our customers. We work with a wide range of materials: from traditional and innovative fabrics, to durable and heavy, and to high-performance and ultra-lightweight. From experience, we find the most efficient ways to cut, design, and join fabrics together. We have implemented lean manufacturing principles, making it even easier to explore ways to add customization or personalization to our products. In addition, we upcycle Diamond Brand Gear materials for new and creative uses.
we do it for the gear
Our passion lies in the creation of high-quality, durable gear that will last for years and is made with sustainability in mind. At Diamond Brand, our makers and quality assurance team ensure every piece of craft gear is inspected before it ships from our factory. We believe in our craft, and each product we make harnesses a love for adventure and versatility.
Our interest in preserving the art of sewing has led us to partner with over twenty other WNC manufacturers to launch a free industrial sewing program for local sewers. Through this program, students will learn sewing terms, fabric structures and type, and how to read tech packs. They’ll also learn basic sewing skills and techniques for industrial straight stitch, coverstitch, and overlock machine.
We’re proud to partner with a number of incredible Carolina-based brands that value a dedication to quality, sustainability and local love like we do.
Accounting for nearly 30 percent of all emissions, transportation is one of the largest contributors to greenhouse gas emissions in the United States. Therefore, we reduce the emissions our processes emit by reducing the distance our products travel. Thanks to TS Designs, not only are our packs and tents crafted right here in the Carolina mountains, our swag is too.
Radically transparent, TS Designs allows their customers to track each step of their shirt’s production process: from where the cotton was grown to where it was printed and dyed. With an easy-to-use online system, consumers can see the total miles from “dirt to shirt.” Talk about knowing where your clothing comes from!
In Blue Handmade
We’re always looking for new ways to share our love of sewing with the surrounding community. That’s why in 2018, we opened a Pop Up Microfactory in downtown Asheville for nine months. We invited visitors to observe our sewing on site and try their hand at it.
We were thrilled to share the space with fellow Asheville-based brand In Blue Handmade. This team of leather-working magicians craft each of their sophisticated pieces by hand every day. In their own words, “we start with top grain cowhides, trace and cut our pattern pieces, sew ’em up, stamp down our ink, and ship them to your door.” From mindful material sourcing to thoughtful customer service, In Blue Handmade pours love into each step of their process.
Collaborating and engaging with the community is an integral part of what we believe in. We’re proud to be creating in the mountains of Asheville, NC.
Part of the Family
Our commitment to family extends into our community, so we support our employees’ efforts to generate positive change by offering paid volunteer time.
the benefits of being a craftsperson
- We provide an Employee Assistance Program that helps our family members through times of exceptional need with marriage, the birth of children, substance abuse, personal finances, and continuing education.
- We provide translation services that enable everyone to have access to the same information and be empowered to make the best decisions for themselves and their families.
a living wage & beyond
- 100% of our employees make at least a living wage for Henderson County, North Carolina. This factors in the number of adults in the household who are working and the number of children they are supporting.
- Through our Gainsharing Program, we split the gross margin profits we exceed 50/50 with employees each month.
- We have a robust employee referral bonus system in which we reward employees for employment referrals and offer a graduated pay scale dependent upon milestones such as interviewing and length of employment.
We live and breathe by these core beliefs.
put people first
use sustainable practices
keep it simple
Made in AsheViLle
We have a gem in these mountains that understands this principle. They work from their heart, and for everybody’s benefit, making innovative, high-quality, outdoor gear, that not only supports our fun adventures, but has created a lasting legacy: giving life back to the special craft heritage here we all hold dear. Listen to the story of Diamond Brand Gear – which has been around as long as some of our ancient trees, and holds every bit of the same wisdom.
All Diamond Brand craft gear is made with love in AVL, and we believe it’s important to recognize other community businesses that are making excellent products right here in town. We feel immense pride to stand alongside these fellow local innovators on the path to community engagement and sustainability. Here are some of our favorite AVL businesses with products you’ll love:
- Moog Music is the leading manufacturer of analog synthesizers in the world and strives to empower creative self-expression and joyous experimentation.
- East Fork Pottery makes thoughtful, timeless, durable stoneware with regional materials.
- Highland Brewing Company carved the path for the city’s craft beer and values community and sustainability.
- Buchi Kombucha crafts delicious probiotic drinks that will feed your thirst for life and keep your gut healthy.
- French Broad Chocolate makes awesome chocolate—pure, beautiful, and delicious—sourced with integrity, crafted with love, and served with gratitude.
- Noble Cider is Asheville’s first cidery, crafting delicious ciders using fresh fruit with no artificial flavors or ingredients.
- Poppy Handcrafted Popcorn prides itself in using natural ingredients to create classic and unique flavors, with a handcrafted touch packed into every delicious handful.
- Roots Hummus has been using all-natural ingredients to make unforgettable, vegan hummus since 2006.
- Burial Beer Co. crafts bold American styles with a dedication to creativity, tradition, modernization, and preservation.